Monday, May 16, 2011

Cheesy Chicken Pesto Ravioli

Wow, it's been a whole month since I last posted! Time flies! How have you been? How are the kids?

Ok, so I've actually had this recipe ready to post for a while and just never got around to it. I made it up myself. I got the idea from my co-worker. She told me how to make "Lazy Man's Lasagna" with frozen cheese ravioli (just layer it and add meat and sauce). I misunderstood, and thought you still had to boil the ravioli before baking it, which doesn't seem so "lazy" to me, but I was mistaken. Apparently you don't have to boil the ravioli before hand, so that might work in this recipe, too, but it's not how I did it. What can I say? I like to be difficult. In fact, if you don't need to boil it first, this would probably make an excellent freezer meal.

Oh, and I waited so long to post this, that I lost my list of ingredients and measurements, so you'll have to bear with me.

Here's what you'll need (I think):
2 chicken breasts - cooked and shredded
1 - 25 oz bag of frozen cheese ravioli
1 packet of pesto mix
1- 15 oz jar of alfredo sauce
1 - 15 oz container of ricotta cheese
Lots of mozzarella cheese to put on top

Here we go!


















This is the kind of ravioli I used.













You want to boil it first. (Unless you decided to skip this step. It might work, it might not.)


















And while you're boiling the ravioli, you might as well prepare the pesto mix according to the package. Here's the kind I use.













Here's what it will look like when it's ready. It looks gross, but tastes oh so yummy! You're going to use the whole thing, just to make sure we get all that delicious pesto taste. (P.S. Like my new saucepan?)













When the pesto is ready, mix it with the ricotta cheese. Seriously, I'm drooling.


















Next, you'll want to break out the alfredo sauce. This is the kind I always use. It's delicious.













Spread a thin layer of alfredo sauce on the bottom of the lasagna dish.













Then arrange a layer of ravioli.













Spread a layer of the pesto/ricotta mixture on top of the ravioli.













Sprinkle some of the chicken (which, for the purpose of this blog, has already been prepared. I think we all know how to cook and shred chicken by now) on top of that.













Then pour on some of that alfredo sauce.













You're going to repeat these steps one more time, and then top it all off with lots of mozzarella cheese. I think I used a whole pack (2 cups), but I can't exactly remember.

I often forget to take pictures after I take my concoctions out of the oven, and this is no exception. So if you really want to know what the final product looks like, you'll just have to make it yourself. Trust me, you won't regret it! I thought it was going to be really rich due to all the cheese and sauce and such, but it was actually not overwhelmingly rich. It was very, very good. This is most definitely NOT a diet food, though. I doubt that needed to be said, but I thought I'd give that little disclaimer anyway. If you're looking for some good old fashioned, carb loaded, comfort food, this is it.













It even gets the 1-year-old kid seal of approval!

No comments:

Post a Comment