Sunday, July 29, 2012

Chicken Wild Rice Casserole


You guys, I have some terrible news. I have to go back to work in 3 weeks. I know, it's bad. I bet all you 9-5, 52-weeks-per-year readers feel really sorry for me. :P Anyway, in preparation of my impending return to work, I've been gettin' my cook on and socking away some freezer meals. And that is good news, because that means you can expect quite a few blog posts coming your way very, very soon.

First up, Wild Rice Chicken Casserole. I love wild rice, so this recipe immediately caught my attention. And it seemed super easy, and I'm super lazy, so that was nice. I found it here. I changed just a few things.

Here's what you'll need:
1 box wild rice (with the seasoning packet) 4.3 oz
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can water
1 small can of mushrooms, drained
Boneless, skinless chicken breasts (the recipe said 6, but the ones I had were huge so I only used 3)

Ok, I have no idea why this picture is upside-down. I tried for almost 30 minutes to get the darn thing to upload right, but it just wouldn't work. So I'm afraid you'll have to settle for an upside-down picture. Deal with it. I just wanted to show you what kind of wild rice I used. So there it is. Upside-down.

First you mix the wild rice, seasoning packet, both cans of soup, and the can of water. When I say "can of water" I just mean take one of the soup cans and fill it with water.

Then stir in the can of mushrooms. You could also use fresh mushrooms. I prefer fresh, but I didn't have a lot of time since I was doing a lot of cooking, so I settled.

Then spread it into a casserole dish. I typically use those disposable foil ones (P.S. they're cheap), but I had this one in the pantry. It's like a hard paper type one. It's very sturdy and I prefer this kind, but they're more expensive.

Then take your chicken breasts (however many you decide to use)...

... and lovingly place them on top. That's right, lovingly. If you don't do it lovingly, it won't turn out right.

Cover it with foil and write the cooking instructions on top. It may also be a good idea to lable it by writing what it is, which, I just realized while looking at this picture, I did not do. Oops.

Thaw and bake uncovered for one hour until the chicken juices run clear and the rice is tender.

And there you have it. The prep literally takes 5 minutes, and you have a tasty (hopefully) meal you can just toss in the oven!

No comments:

Post a Comment