Thursday, July 15, 2010

Mad World

Looking at my list of posts, I am realizing that I haven't been posting much about coupons/deals or cooking, which is originally what I planned for my blog to be about. As it is, I am still coming into my own with this whole blog thing, and it's turned out to be more about my life in general, which still includes coupons/deals and cooking, but other stuff too. I guess my blog will go through phases, as do my interests.

Anyway, back to the subject I was originally going to post about...


Lately, I've found myself having a lot of experiences where, after it's over, I leave the situation shaking my head thinking, "Wow, that was weird."

Here's what I'm talking about...

Last Thursday, James, Isaac and I were walking from L&M Meats (to get some jerky for the lake) to our bank to meet with the loan lady. We went about a block out of our way so we could walk in the residential area rather than on the main road. Along the way, we saw a garage sale. I love garage sales, so we stopped. As we approached the house, the lady in charge hops out of her car with a cigarette in hand and, as we walked up the driveway, ambushes us with WAY more information than is really necessary for any garage sale. She said it was a moving sale through the end of July. Then she started rambling about how everything on the right side of the driveway is $5 and everything on the left side of the driveway is $10 and everything on the right side of the garage is $15, and the stuff on the left side of the garage is not for sale, and she had some furniture in the house so we should come back later when she has it outside. I smiled and nodded, despite the fact that I couldn't see anything that I would pay more than $.50 for. (That's right, I ended my sentence with a preposition. Whatcha gonna do about it?) She proceeded to tell us how she sells things by the box and if you see something that you like in the $10 section, you can just put it in one of the $5 boxes and have it all for $5. James and I were both a little foggy on the rest of the details, because at this point we were both trying to think up an exit strategy. As we walked away, she hollered to us "If you come back again I'll give you $5 off of your purchase!"

Weird.

Monday (or Tuesday, my days all run together), I was in the restroom at (where else?) Target. I was cranking out a paper towel to dry my hands, and there was a very old, white haired, fragile looking lady at the sink next to me. As I was standing there drying my hands, she leaned over and started talking to me. This was our convo. And when you form the little old lady voice in your head while you read this, keep in mind that it was actually much like you might think a little old lady voice would be - very soft, sweet, and frail.

Old Lady: "Are you going to listen to The Bachelorette tonight?"
Me: [a little surprised] "Huh?"
Old Lady: "Do you listen to that program? The Bachelorette?"
Me: "Oh... no I don't watch that one."
Old Lady: "I'm going to listen to that program tonight and see who she chooses!"
Me: [politely smiling] "Oh, sounds like fun."

Weird.

1 comment:

  1. LOL -Rob's 81 yr-old grandma loves the bachelor & american idol. Though, I think she watches along with listening to them. HA.

    ReplyDelete