Friday, May 7, 2010

Mexican Feast Part Uno - Chicken Mole Poblano

Happy Cinco de Mayo!

Yes, I realize that it is now May 7th, but I totally forgot about Cinco de Mayo until the actual day when the students at school were talking about it. Aaaaand I put a roast in the crock pot that morning, so there would be no Cinco de Mayo celebratory feast... until yesterday - Seis de Mayo. :)

So what I really meant to say was "Happy belated Cinco de Mayo!"

Anyway, here's what was on the menu:
Chicken Mole Poblano
Homemade Refried Beans
Mexican Rice (not homemade - from a package)
Fried Ice Cream

For the sake of my time and my potential carpal tunnel syndrome, I'm going to split this menu into three seperate posts. This is the first one. Obviously.

CHICKEN MOLE POBLANO

Sounds complicated, no? Well, it isn't. It's actually really really easy. It's probably the easiest thing I made yesterday (besides the packaged rice).

¡AquĆ­ vamos!

First, throw the following ingredients into a medium sized bowl:
  • 2 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
  • 1/2 tsp ground cumin
  • 1/2 tsp dried oregano, crushed
  • 8 oz tomato sauce
  • 1/2 small onion, chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced














Then mix it all up.













Then stick it in the microwave for about two minutes just until it is bubbly around the edges. But don't use a metal bowl or you'll be in for a surprise. I only used this bowl for mixing, not microwaving.

Next, add one pound of chicken, cut into cubes, and 1/2 can of green chili peppers (you can add the whole 4.5 oz can if you like it spicier).













Then pour it all into a frying pan, put the lid on, and let the magic happen. The sauce will get a little runny from the chicken juices, but fear not, it will thicken up again after a while when the liquid boils out. Oh, and don't forget to stir it every once in a while.













Like I mentioned before, I served it with mexican rice and homemade beans.













Ok, so my plating skills leave a little to be desired, but it was pretty good! Tons of flavor. James LOVED it, which is good because the only reason I made it is because I know he likes the chicken mole burrito at Q'doba.

So if you are craving a little Mexicano and want to try something different, try this recipe!

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Rob refuses to eat mexican. I got a blog. Thanks a lot. I also forgot cinco de mayo and its my parents' anniversary. I swear I've got mommy brain bad.

    ReplyDelete