Sunday, September 26, 2010

Tutus

Yesterday at the farmers market, there was a booth where a lady was selling tutus that she makes. I was looking at them, since two of my nieces have birthdays coming up (well, one birthday has already passed, but we haven't seen her since, so we haven't given her a gift yet). I looked very closely and realized that the strips of tulle were just tied onto an elastic band. It actually looked really easy to make, so I decided I'd try my hand at it.

After we got home and I recovered from my wasp sting, I headed to the fabric store and got some dark pink and light pink tulle, and some elastic. I hand sewed the elastic together so it was in a circle, and then cut the tulle into strips and looped it through itself on the elastic.


I am pretty happy with the results, and I think I'm going to make them as Christmas presents for my nieces. I just have to figure out the sizing. This one is a little loose on Isaac (yes, I put a tutu on my son, but I just wanted to see how it fit someone his size), but I'm not quite sure if it would fit a 5 year old. It might fit one of the 2 year olds, but I kind of wanted her to have a different colored tutu. She's not really a pink kind of girl. So I may not even use this one. We'll see.

2 comments:

  1. I happen to be friends with the lady selling the tutus...I won't tell you stole her idea...haha. For real, she always tells me how easy they are to make, I just haven't actually tried my hand at them myself. Glad it worked out for you, and I am sure your nieces will LOVE them. I would suggest a tie on one though if you are too nervous about sizing...just a thought!

    ReplyDelete
  2. uh oh, time to get a sewing machine! you know it'll happen next :)

    ReplyDelete