Saturday, June 26, 2010

A Few of My Favorite Things

Since I'm on the subject of debt, I thought I'd share a few of my favorite debt-related things.

www.whatsthecost.com
It's a website where you can enter all of your debts, interest rates, and minimum payments. Then you enter how much you plan to put toward your debt every month, and it tells you how long it will take you to pay off your debt if you continue to pay the same amount every month, even after you pay something off. It's a little thing called the "debt snowball", which brings me to my next favorite thing...


Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover
 
Ok, this isn't exactly a favorite because I haven't read it yet, but it's on my list. Obviously, it's a book. And although I haven't read it, I've heard a lot about it and I think it's a great program. There are two things that I really like about it.
  • Seven Baby Steps - Dave gives you seven steps that tell you the best order in which to do things. This will help you get started.
  • Debt Snowball - If you're serious about getting out of debt, this is the way to do it! Basically, you figure out how much extra, if any, you can afford to put toward your debt every month. Then you pay all the extra (if any) toward the smallest debt. And when that debt is gone, you take all the money you used to pay toward that debt, to the next smallest debt, and so on and so forth, until it's all gone. So you're paying the same amount every month, and each time you pay something off, you're putting more and more money toward the principle of the next debt. This is what whatsthecost.com helps you do.
Dave Ramsey also has a tv show I like to watch once in a while that makes the list too.


Suze Orman

I watch her show occasionally on CNBC. I like her. She'll tell it like it is. There is a segment of her show where people call in because they want to buy something, they give her all their income and debts, etc, and Suze tells them if they can afford it or not. Love it!

She also has a website called MoneyMindedMoms. I just discovered this website and haven't done a whole lot of exploring yet, but I think I kind of like it. You should check it out.





I use Quicken for our personal finances. I love it. I'm the type of person who wants to know exactly how much money we have at any given time. It helps me keep track of my check register, savings account balances, credit card balance, investments, loans, assets, etc. And you can easily download your transactions directly from your bank. I bought mine, but if you don't want to pay for it, you can use http://www.mint.com/, which is owned by Quicken and essentially does the same thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment