Friday, June 25, 2010

Let's Talk About Debt

Earlier this week, I was watching Oprah's Debt Diet. Now I have finances on my mind. So I thought I'd blog about it. Because that's what you write about when you have a blog - things that are on your  mind. Right? Right.

Ok, so I have a degree in accounting and have been blessed with a natural understanding of most things finance. Of course, I don't know everything. Not even close. But finance is an interest of mine, and therefor I want to learn about it. I understand that not everyone is so inclined. But I have a hard time dealing with the fact that A LOT of people don't even have even the most basic understanding about their finances. In fact, it really bugs me. It bugs me almost as much as women who know nothing about their own bodies, but that's another post for another day.

This particular Oprah show was highlighting a couple who were trying to make "sacrafices" in order to pay off their debt. The husband had to sell {gasp} half of his season tickets for some pro football team. Um, seriously dude? If you're $100,000 in debt (and I don't mean a mortgage), don't buy them in the first place. How is that not common sense? I would love to have season tickets for Sioux hockey. But I don't. You know why? Because I have other financial responsibilities that come first.

There was another lady on a few weeks ago. They were $170,000 in debt, but she would NOT give up her weekly trips to the salon. It was absolutely non-negotiable. Why the eff did she even sign up for this? Because it seems like she doesn't really want to get out of debt. No, scratch that. She sounds like she wants someone to wave a magic wand and make all their debt go away without having to make any changes.

Of course, now I'm sucked in to this whole Debt Diet series that Oprah has going on. I guess I just enjoy watching train wrecks.

{Steps down off soap box}

No comments:

Post a Comment