Saturday, February 26, 2011

Beef Tetrazzini

Ok, I'll admit that last weekend when I was freezer cooking, I got lazy and lost interest before I even got to my beef dishes. So... I ended up making those two recipes on Wednesday. The beef tetrazzini is something that I've never made before. I'm a pretty lazy cook, and this recipe uses up a lot of dishes - pot for the spaghetti, fry pan for the beef, two mixing bowls, a mixer, cutting board, knife - that's way more than I like to clean up, so it better be good. :)

Oh, and again, my laziness kicked in and I didn't bother taking any pictures of the cooking process, just photos of the final result.



Beef Tetrazzini

1 lb lean ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
1 tsp salt
2 tsp Italian Seasoning
15 oz can tomato sauce
8oz cream cheese, softened (1/3 less fat)
1 cup cottage cheese (I use fat free)
1/4 cup sour cream (I use low fat)
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 bunch green onions, chopped
8 oz spaghetti (I use whole wheat)
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese




Preheat oven to 325. Coat 9x13 pan with cooking spray.

Boil large pot of water and cook spaghetti according to package directions. Drain.

Brown beef and onion until beef is crumbly and onions softened (I just used a little onion powder). Drain off fat (if necessary). Add salt, Italian seasoning and tomato sauce (I accidentally used spaghetti sauce because I didn't read the recipe thoroughly. Tisk tisk.). Heat through.

In a medium mixing bowl, beat together cream cheese, cottage cheese, and sour cream. Add green pepper, green onion (I drastically reduced the amount of both because I didn't want it to get too strong over time) and hot drained spaghetti. Stir to combine. Spread in the bottom of the 9x13 pan. Pour meat sauce over the top. Top with Parmesan cheese.

Bake at 325 for aprox 30 minutes or until bubbly. Whenever you bake something with cheese on top, it's always a good idea to cover it with tin foil until the last 10 or 15 minutes, then uncover it and bake for the remaining time.

No comments:

Post a Comment