Thursday, February 24, 2011

Chicken Pesto Pasta

Here's another freezer recipe that I stumbled upon. I'm a really excited to try this one because it looks amazing! I found it here, but I did some tweaking based on the blog comments. First of all, instead of stuffing shells, I decided to make it into more of a casserole so that the tops of the shells don't try out with no sauce on them. I chose to use bow tie pasta, but you could use any kind you want. Second, some of the comments said the recipe was a bit dry, so I used more cream cheese and added a little mozzerella. I do love me some cheese. Third, I used less garlic because I plan to freeze this, and garlic tends to increase in intensity over time, so I didn't want to over-do it.

So here's what you'll need:
- 2 cups chicken (shredded)
- 8-10 ounces of bow tie noodles (or whatever type of pasta you want to use)
- 6 oz cream cheese
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese + 1/4 cup for topping
- 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese
- 4 tbsps prepared pesto
- 1 clove minced garlic
- salt and pepper to taste

First, you want to prepare some pesto.



















This is what I used. Just follow the instructions on the package. You'll need some oil and water if you go this route. You might be able to buy pesto already prepared, but we always have this stuff on hand because J really likes it.













This is what it looks like when it's prepared. I know it looks gross, but it's good. Really. I promise.

While you're making the pesto, you might as well start boiling the noodles.













Put the shredded chicken in a big ol' mixing bowl.













Add the 4 tablespoons of pesto. (Here's where the lighting in my photos got a little wonky. I was playing with the settings and kept changing my mind. Deal with it.)













Now go get your cream cheese. It should be softened. Mine wasn't, so I nuked it for a little bit.













And mince a little garlic.













Then add the cream cheese, garlic, Parmesan cheese, and mozzarella cheese to the mixing bowl with the chicken.













Add the pasta and mix it all up. Now I understand why this is supposed to be a stuffing and not a casserole. It's thick. Duh. There are no liquids in it. So stirring may be a little difficult. Just keep at it though, and get the "filling" as evenly distributed as possible.

It looks a little dry, but once you pop it in the oven and all the cheesy goodness melts, it will be nice and saucy. I promise hope.

Then add some Parmesan cheese on the top. Just because. I love cheese.

I covered mine with tin foil for good measure, even though it came with a lid. I like to be thorough.

With all the cheese in this dish, you'll probably want to thaw it before baking. Then cook it at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes.

This smelled so good while I was putting it together. J can't wait to try it, and I agree with him!

1 comment:

  1. Rob would never eat that. I on the other hand, could probably eat a whole pan. mmm pasta!

    ReplyDelete