Friday, February 18, 2011

February Book: The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner

Oh, Twilight. I just couldn't get enough. And I'm not the only one, which is probably the reason why Stephanie Meyer decided to write The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner. And it is short. It weighs in at about 180 pages and is a quick read. In fact, it was my book for February, and I finished it on the 6th of the month. I'm ahead of schedule. :)

If you've read Eclipse, you probably can remember Bree Tanner's character. She's the one in Victoria's newborn vampire army who surrendered to the Cullens at the end of the battle. They were going to take her in as part of their coven, but the Volturi put and end to that idea when they snapped her limbs off and burned her. Too bad, she was a sweet girl.

This book tells the story from her perspective. You learn that nobody in the newborn vampire army knew the reason why they were being recruited until a few days before the battle with the Cullens. The newborns were fed nothing but lies to make them fight. Bree and her BFF, Diego, figured out that they were being lied too, but it was too late to do anything about it by then.

In my opinion, The Short Life of Bree Tanner seriously lacked substance. From the brief words I wrote about the book in the previous paragraph, I feel as though I gave away the entire plot line. I was entertained, but barely. I kept waiting for something interesting to happen, and it just didn't. My husband told me that sometimes authors will make notes about certain characters in order to develop them more. I feel like that is what Stephanie Meyer did with Bree Tanner's character, an then published it as a last ditch effort to keep the saga going.

I did find one thing interesting though. The book has no chapters. It's not separated or sectioned in any way. It's just one long story. I think it's supposed to represent the fact that vampires don't sleep. To Bree Tanner, her vampire life was just one long story, too. It wasn't separated by sleep, therefor the book had no chapters, get it? I thought it was kind of neat.

All in all, I was disappointed. If you're totally in love with the Twilight series though, go ahead and give it a read. It won't waste very much of your time.

1 comment:

  1. I read this when she released it for free as an ebook. It was okay but I am glad I did not pay for it. It took me a good part of the book to remember what section of the book it was from.

    ReplyDelete