Monday, February 21, 2011

Chicken Souvlaki

When I saw this recipe, the main reason I decided to try it is because I though J would like it. Chicken Souvlaki is a Greek dish (although traditionally it's made with lamb, not chicken, but I'm always pushing boundaries like that). This is another simple dump chicken recipe. I'm all about simple.


Here are the ingredients you'll need:
-1 1/2 tsp oregano
-1/4 tsp black pepper
-1 clove minced garlic
-1 tsp oil
-1/4 cup lemon juice



In a prep bowl, combine the oregano and black pepper.

Now we have to get the garlic ready.

Once you seperate the clove you're going to use, here's what you're going to do: take your knife, set it on top of the clove like so, and then smash the knife against it with your other hand. This will separate the casing from the garlic. It should peel off easily after you smash it.

Then mince it. It's like dicing, but smaller.

Of course, these things are always easier with a little "helper" hanging on your leg.

Ok, now add the garlic and the oil and mix it all up. Now, I probably should have used olive oil, since this is a Greek recipe, but I didn't have much left on hand and I needed it for a different recipe. So vegetable oil it is! What can I say? I'm a rebel.

Now take the lemon and roll it around on the counter a little, pressing down to loosen up the juices. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain three week old nail polish on my fingers.

Slice the lemon in half and squeeze the juices into a measuring cup until you get 1/4 cup. Squeeze slowly, because if you try to do it too fast, it will just squirt all over the place. Or you could just buy the pre-squeezed juice that comes in the little lemon shaped bottle. I decided to go fresh, then I realized I was going to freeze it anyway, so it doesn't really matter.

Add the lemon juice to the spice/oil mixture. Now take a great big whiff, because it smells wonderful! It made me drool a little.

Put the chicken breasts into a freezer bag, dump the Souvlaki marinade into the bag, and shake it around so it's well coated.

Then lable the bag with all that essential info: name, date, cooking instructions. Lay it flat and freeze it. Done.

Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or so if you thaw it first. If not, more like 50 or 60 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment